a christmas gift

diary of an engagement:

christmas eve.
dave is wound tighter than a string on a guitar. he keeps getting up and
making phone calls. we're watching a movie, i wish he'd stay sitting down.

i have been forbidden since sunday to enter the basement.

i walk outside, frustrated at the air of tension and secrecy - it feels
like everyone here is in on something!

fedex drives up and asks me to sign for a package for dave frank. i sign,
walk in, and he races off with the package. i have no idea what's going
on. i fume silently and put another smile on my face. we're going to a
christmas eve service.

this whole thing has been odd - his parents almost my inlaws, etc. not
opening on christmas eve - but waiting until christmas morning...
stockings! i tried to help with the stockings, but everything isuggested,
martha (his sister) said no to.

eventually we all go to sleep. dave is still tense. i don't know why.
everyone kee[ps hanging out in the basement, and i get bored...

christmas morning:

he comes to wake me up - it's too early! (: and i'm half asleep. i feel
feet walking on the bed, i assume it's momo (our cat). i hear a funny
squeak and dave says 'there's someone here to see you' i blurrily open my
eyes to a *tiny* black kitten, with a red bow around her neck. i quickly
put on my contacts. as i rub her head. there's something hard on the
ribbon, but he takes the ribbon off before it really registers. i look up
to see him holding a ring - (i thought it wasn't coming). it's got a
diamond in the center. therer are two insets of petrified wood. it's
beautiful. (: he said after they made it (he designed it all), they broke
the mold. th reason he was worried about it showing up in time, was cos
they kept sending it to NY to get the wood done in it. he gave me this
whole speech about what the wood meant. how it represented us being
changed by Christ, made eternal. how we can never go back to the old ways,
we've been changed.

i like it so much (:

the kitty is named salto (as in 'i jump!'). she jumps all the time. momo
really likes her (:

she is midnight black and cuddly. her nose is even black

our parents have met. and they like each other (:

rhys

--
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.