Re: TTT

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, J. Marie Hall wrote:
> well, there are those pesky harper collins people who want to redo (or
> was it to continue them?) the narnia chronicles to make them secular.

They want to commission new Narnia books, but they have not expressed any
intention to revise the existing books.  I haven't a clue whether the new
books will be secular or not (and let's be honest, if a *Christian*
publisher commissioned new Narnia books, would they be as quasi-pagan as
Lewis's books were?) -- all I know is HarperCollins wants the *marketing*
department to play down the religious angle in the existing books.

> but they'll of course stink.  they'll fail.  and go broke if they try.

Go broke, I hope so.  Stink, I don't know.  I *do* know that the original
Narnia books were very much a reflection of C.S. Lewis's own highly
personal (and somewhat idiosyncratic?) tastes and beliefs, and I really,
really doubt anyone else can capture their flavour.

 If true love never did exist how could we know its name? -- Sam Phillips
          Happiness happens but I want joy. -- Marjorie Cardwell