the book was....

being employed by a library, I often hear patrons say
the following:

"the book was better."
"the movie was better."
"they totally changed the story..."
and so it goes.

now, I've had a rule for a couple of years now that I
would make sincere efforts to read the book before
watching any literature-based film. however, after
seeing the Two Towers last night, I think I need to
change that policy.

one of the library patrons declared that they
typically read the book *after* watching the movie,
because they accept the differences with a little more
grace and enjoy getting more of the story that the
book frequently offers, rather than resenting its
abridgement.

I adored the film, "Fellowship of the Ring"
then, several months later, read the book, finally,
and loved it. there are a lot more differences than I
had realized, but I accepted both "versions" like I
accept watching hamlet done by ethan hawke, kenneth
branagh and the reduced shakespeare company.

I succeeded in finishing "the Two Towers" just a
couple of weeks ago, so it was fresh on my mind as I
stood in line at the theatre. I enjoyed the movie, but
while my husband (who has only read the Hobbit) was
glowing as we emerged from the theatre, I was somewhat
glowering.

so, what do you film lovers, book lovers do?
who reads books before watching movies?
who views films before reading the novels?
(this is not lotr specific, btw)
who does both and which is preferable?

furthermore, which is your favourite film based on
novel?

any particular one where you liked both book and film?
any particular one where book and film were very
different but you liked both much?

of course, the obvious downside to seeing the movies
first--someone else conjures up what everything looks
like, for the most part. it's hard to read a book
without superimposing the actor or sets into the story
that you might have otherwise simply imagined.

curious of your thoughts,
lynz harnish