RE: Encores (was Orri Pall Dyrason)

I was wondering that too, and I don't know what the history is,
but I do know that there are some artists who don't do them for
that reason: they're meaningless.  When I saw Jimmy Eat World (my
first mistake) it was so ridiculous.  They took a huge encore
break, like they weren't going to come back out and play their
hit that they hadn't played yet, and the guitar techs sit there
tuning their guitars, like anyone can hear the melodic
instruments anyway....
that concert was an experience.

babbling and frazzled,
Bethany

Barry said:

> I have been wondering this, but have been to lazy to
> look it up, what is the
> history of the encore?  Where did it start?  Why?  I
> was actually just
> talking about this with my boss yesterday and I felt
> that an encore as we
> know it is just another part of the set.  It seems to
> me a real encore would
> happen if we weren't expecting it to happen.  Okay I
> have stopped making
> sense to myself now so I will stop.

---