revolting election development for the masses

i'm pretty much a democratic party-liner, occasionally
opt for a third party.  well, i finally did it this
year: voted for my first republican candidate (a local
level candidate).

reason?: i knew nothing about the guy i voted for, but
his opponent had ASSAULTED my phone lines for two
weeks with pre-recorded phone messages and badgering
me worse than any credit card telemarketer ever had.
the amusing part is that i told my brother about this
a couple days before the election (i had already
decided to vote against this dude), and he said this
happened to him in '00, and he found the answer in
voting against the candidate who had pestered him.

i can take the negative ads and ethical questions,
because i have power over turning the damn tv off.
but when i get home after a day's work, the last thing
i need is a 53-second message sandwiched inside
relevant messages on my phone answering machine.  this
happened several times.  and it gets in the way of my
pouring my victory drink for having survived another
day.  screw campaign finance reform: first outlaw the
violation of the voters' fiber optics, i say.

anyone else ever have a similar experience?

eric