Re: Another note from a travelling friend

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Amy N Macrellis wrote:
> And then I wondered why Mr. Kay would say such things when Ms. Klein
> cites instance after instance where Third World workers are in fact
> *not* the beneficiaries of free trade...unless you consider the
> "profitable use" that large corporations get from paying them
> less-than-subsistence wages for unsafe work in awful conditions.

Is this a reference to the so-called sweat-shops?  Sure, a lot of them are
awful, just as a lot of factories were awful in the early stages of the
Industrial Revolution in the Western world.  But the fact is, the presence
of those so-called sweat-shops -- as much as they may need to be improved
-- is also bringing economic benefits to the people who work there.

http://www.topica.com/lists/dadl-ot/read/message.html?mid=801553511

> Please, Peter, I beg of you...read the book.  I'll even send you my
> copy.

Hmmm, but I've got so much other reading to do ... first I've got to
finish Gerard Jones's _Killing Monsters: Why Children Need Fantasy, Super
Heroes and Make-Believe Violence_, and then I've got to finish Quentin
Schultze's _Habits of the High-Tech Heart: Living Virtuously in the
Information Age_, and then I should probably get around to William
Romanowski's _Eyes Wide Open: Looking for God in Popular Culture_ ...

 If true love never did exist how could we know its name? -- Sam Phillips
          Happiness happens but I want joy. -- Marjorie Cardwell