Heaven's screen door

In a message dated 10/5/2002 6:05:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
youaremorethanyouthinkyouare at yahoo_com writes:

> As a result, we
>  have people defining art as a boundless vehicle in
>  which one can express themselves in any which way they
>  please.  If it is vulgar or immoral, they call it an
>  artistic expression.

In my experience, few people are more critical of 'art' and the worth of any
given piece than people who consider themselves to be artists themselves.

Tolerance in the limits of the definition of a word (in this case 'art')
doesn't necessarily imply *value* in everything included therein.

> But as Christians, we need to
> set boundaries in those expressions.  Sin is present
> in all things human, and that includes art.

First of all, we aren't all Christians here.  Please, for the sake of peace
on what is NOT a specifically-Christian list, try to qualify your statements
differently: try using "Because I'm a Christian..." instead.  Or, if your
'we' comment is aimed at one particular other Christian, or only those who
are Christian, perhaps it would be better taken off-list.

Secondly: being watchful for yourself is good... but if we're discussing
Christianity, let's have a look at Romans 14.   Just because it (food, art,
etc) is not edifying for you, doesn't mean it's sin for everyone... yes?

If I choose to look at it this way...

Beauty is present in all things God-created, including humans and their art.
There is no 'vulgar' or 'offensive' art but that your perspective makes it
so, just as "all food is clean."

...why am I wrong?

For me the difference for a Christian is whether you go through life looking
for sin or looking for God.  Sin-avoidance may well be one path to Him... but
it strikes *me* as a bit like trying not to think about a pink elephant... so
I choose to look for Him instead.

Just my two cents...
Anita