OtR 28 Sept 02 CST

Saw the band on Saturday..  Made the trip and had a Southern Indian feast
with a few Dayton and Cincinnati folks.  Learned a lot about Indian cinema
at dinner.  Maybe too much, actually.  The film we watched seemed a little
like Cop Rock..  I'd never pictured the Indian people so ebullient.

Got to Canal Street with plenty of time for Spinoggle playing, but we only
sloshed through half a game.  Learned that Arthur Frei has over twenty
patents in the field of ice cube tray design, and he's a Daytonian.  In
fact, if you look out the front door of CST, the giant ice cube tray ahead
of you by 25 meters has vaporized water that erupts each five minutes, like
a surreal Old Faithful.

Listee Chris Flinchbaugh opened first, and played a half hour set, mostly
from his new CD.  Pretty pop.  And the CD is great!  Really well done.
Jason Dennie was next, and played a little more low key than I'd seen him
play before.  As always, a good show though.

Over the R took the stage and..

-Set One-
Cast Me Away (long version like they've been playing for a few years, great)
Bothered
The Seahorse
Summertime (whoo boy)
Who Will Guard the Door? (full version.  This was started on Snakes 'n'
Mittens, and worked on again a few years ago, around the time she did the
show at Kaldi's with Jay Bolotin; the full song is great.  "when I am
sleeping/I'm not sleeping" is a great tag for the song)
Etc. Whatever
Fever (Karin said before this that they're contributing a track to a
compilation of diverse acts celebrating - I think - King Records in
Cincinnati, which hosted a ton of R&B stuff in the 50s)
My Love is a Fever (really interesting again, Linford on acoustic guitar
only)
She
Remind Us (Linford left the stage for this one, Karin played piano.  both
new songs were great)
Ohio
The World Can Wait (Linford rejoined the stage, played piano for this)

-Set Two-
If Nothing Else
When I Go
Green-Clouded Swallowtail (umm..  this is weird.  Linford sang backup on
this.  You are not hallucinating.  I typed that, I saw it.  I've seen Over
the Rhine - what - some 100+ times and have not seen this except for his rap
he used to do in Miles...  It was pretty good!  I just picture them around
the house singing harmony, making the mac and cheese... heh heh)
Fairpoint Diary (Chris Flinchbaugh joined the stage to play bass for the
next four songs.  Karin played toy piano)
Lucy
Orphan Girl
All I Need is Everything (Linford on backup vox again)

***
Anything at All

I'm not a huge fan of Canal Street, but it's always a great room with pretty
good sound and a quiet, respectful crowd.  The mix was fantastic, and Karin
is possibly becoming an even better singer..  It was really smooth sounding,
and she was really in control.  Plus there was lots of reverb in the vocal
mix.

Is that a record for cover songs at an OtR show?  Three?

Oh, don't read any further if you don't want to read an Over the Rhine
spoiler...  For real..

. for real, don't continue reading!

.

. i warned you!

I'll write a paragraph or so just so that last sentence will be separated
from the news so one doesn't accidentally read it.  What should I write
about for a whole paragraph?  Jeesh.  Sometimes I wanna spell 'separated' as
"sepErated".  And it's weird how "fridge" is spelled with a "d" but
"refrigerator" is not.

Does anyone here like Fountains of Wayne?  I just picked up their first CD,
it's fun as heck.

Back to Over the Rhine.  The show ended pretty late on Saturday night, it
was (as usual) a packed house.  I think we got out of there around 1:15,
almost time for me to drive home to get to mass.

Anyway, Karin said during the show that they'd compiled a CD of live
snippets and unused songs for release relatively soon.  It's titled "Cutting
Room Floor".  It'll be like "Besides"..  Cute, eh?  Keeping with the Films
theme, purchase of Cutting Room Floor will allow entry into the day after
Taft show performance and Q&A..  Rockin'.

Summer's gone, days spent with the grass and sun
I don't mind, to pretend I do seems really dumb,