Re: shaking my fists at the sky

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002 TYoder at sschwab_com wrote:
> my family is preaching to me to get over the anger...that it is letting
> "satan" win.

Yowch.

> that is only serving to deepen the anger and the depression.

I can imagine.

I wish I knew what to say, Twila.  As far back as I can remember, I've
always been aware of the fact that our lives are temporary, and I guess I
have conditioned myself to accept death in principle -- it helps that my
Oma, who is 87 now, has always spoken rather positively about looking
forward to death and being with Jesus, etc.  I remember spending a week
with her, 15 years ago, when my family was out of the country, and her
saying that, if it ever came down to a choice between keeping her alive on
machines in a hospital etc. or just letting her die, then "Let me die."
At the time, her words sounded almost blasphemously defeatist to me, but
now, I appreciate where she is coming from.  A part of me finds it hard to
understand why death should make someone angry, but another part of me
knows that I have not yet lost any members of my family (though a friend
of mine did die because of a car accident a few years ago), so I don't
really know how I will react when the time comes for me.  But I do hope
you can find some way *through* your anger -- God can take it.

 If true love never did exist how could we know its name? -- Sam Phillips
          Happiness happens but I want joy. -- Marjorie Cardwell