re: conjectures...

Well, you are all aware that the song-title was take from the name of a Thomas Merton book, correct?  I think that would at least somewhat direct the interpretation of the song.  And Merton, being a Roman Catholic monk (who, interestingly enough, sought out the "Catholicism" in Zen, as well), mostly wrote about two things -- Jesus and social action.
I, honestly, hear a Biblical reference of two in every verse of the song...but again, it was written metaphorically, and I know that the band actually LIKES people getting different interpretations from their songs.  But as to what the original was, though I'm not absolutely sure, I can only imagine it's closely related to the story after which it is entitled, much like "Circle of Quiet" (by Madelien L'Engle), and "Jacksie" (based off "A Severe Mercy" and "A Grief Observed" and named after C.S. Lewis)...
anyway...back to lurk...
shannon