Re: summah vacation

> it ends up being around 2 months of holiday
> (but less for most teachers i know b/c you're always
> improving things, going to workshops, taking classes
> for some odd or end.

either that's not an elementary school thing (the workshops and classes, i
mean) or my brother is an oddball (but if he is, who better to teach fifth
grade?).  i don't think he's ever done any of that.  he just tries to enjoy
summer.

(in fact, this summer was more enjoyable than most; he and his brand new wife
took a six-week honeymoon in western canada and washington state.)

but then again, part of that may be due to the fact that he coaches football.
 school here (in little old chelsea, mi) starts on 26 aug this year, but for
him, his summer is done the first week of august because that's when football
starts.  so if he did start going to anything else, he'd have no summer left.

but i don't think classes and workshops are his thing, anyway.

and i find the timing of this topic quite appropriate; i just spent this
evening helping him set up his classroom for the year (right in the middle of
a nasty thunderstorm that knocked out power for nearly four hours).

really, though, starting on the 8th?  that's early.  here in michigan, there
was recently a push to mandate schools to start after labor (or labour) day,
but it didn't quite happen.  even so, i wouldn't totally rule it out in the
future.  i myself am i fan of reducing the number of school days, but that's
another issue.

-burrill
http://members.aol.com/budah2004/umps.html
http://umpsrules.burrillstrong.com