Re: I would walk 500 miles and havering (was Re: the book of linford)

i remember when the song got popularized here, after benny & joon came out
(a movie i always really enjoyed)- everyone was always complaining about
that 'havering' line.  i remember being told it was irish slang for being
drunk and acting like an idiot.

not like 'eumenides' is a popular word...

melanie

>From: Paul Soupiset <soupiset at toolbox_net>
>To: <Angealika at aol_com>, OverTheRhineListees <over-the-rhine at actwin_com>,
>Sarah Herr <sarahherr at hotmail_com>
>Subject: I would walk 500 miles and havering (was Re: the book of linford)
>Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 17:14:02 -0500
>
>Thereıs one line in that wonderful song I could never understand,
>so your post inspired me to look it up on the Œnet.
>And strangely, itıs just the way i have always sung it phonetically:
>³And if I haver yeah I know I'm gonna be
>I'm gonna be the man who's havering to you²
>
>Which, of course, led me to look up ³Haver² at dictionary.com, since we
>donıt use that word down here in Texas.
>
>haver
>\Ha"ver\, v. i. [Etymol. uncertain.] To maunder; to talk foolishly; to
>chatter. [Scot.] --Sir W. Scott.
>Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, İ 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.
>
> >> "I would walk 500 miles" song
> >> by those 2 Irish brother dudes - can't remember their name
> >>

> > the proclaimers
>
>--
>paul r. soupiset
>toolbox studios