RE: ADVERTISING

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, Sherry Johnson wrote:

> Rhys seemed a bit concerned about my advertising idea:  My aim is not
> simply to say, "advertising is bad."  It is to say, "Look at what's around
> you, and what does it mean?"
>
> The reason I didn't ask about anything but exploiting African-Americans is
> that those are the good quotes I've got...  (There's even a term called
> "bro-ing" in big ad firms, referring to how to use the growing trends in
> the African-American community to increase sales.)

> If anybody's got some good facts/quotes on other cultures being used
> to sell, please give!

latino culture:

"Latino Style Is Hot! Hot! Hot! With $20 Million Mambo Campaign"
http://www.fashionwindows.com/beauty/2001B/liz_fiesta.asp

""Hispanic is hip. Latin culture has become mainstream," remarks Neil
Katz, President of Liz Claiborne Cosmetics."

cinco de mayo sales by companies who are capitalising on a holiday, much
like easter or christmas.
http://www.bebeyond.com/LearnEnglish/BeAD/CincoDeMayo.html

Many look forward to Cinco de Mayo every year just because
of the sales that occur on Mexican beer, liquor, and liqueurs.
http://www.perfectentertaining.com/article1039.html

the usage of terms like:
fiesta, siesta
and pictures of sleepy stupid mexicans (think cheesy
mexican/american/texmex  restaurants)

i realise all of this sounds negative and as if i hate it.

well, some of it bothers me, like the casual use of amiga/o or chica/o. or
hasta la bye bye. but i also know that some people try to reach out by
adopting parts of a culture they admire/desire to beomce more familiar.
and some do it for looks. just like there are some fashions now in walmart
and target that are no more than knockoffs of traditional mexican clothing
(think blouses peasnt style sort of, and broomstick kinds of skirts).

some of these clothes are also eastern indian knockoffs as well.

as for native american stuff, you don't have to look farther than the end
of the block sometimes to find their advertising/slpping into
mainstream...

the controversy over mascots and names: still not sure what i think.

i've thought it was nice to see multi-lingual advertising - it made me
happy.  i like the brightly coloured blankets that i grew up with, but
it's wierd to see them as kitsche in gas stations for 9.95

mine are nicer.

it's nice to go into the grocery store and find the abuela brand, the
jarritos and other 'ethnic' foods (:

i digress.

http://www.pbs.org/americanfamily/latino1.html
intresting discussion about hyphenated america, the gringo/latino

hope this helps and is not too hamfisted.

rhys