Re: rivers

the nature conservancy has a wonderful book (i'll go find the title) that's
a collection of essays on rivers. a wonderful, wonderful book. droughts,
floods, navigation, exploration, rumination, scientific, personal, childhood
memories, conquest-ing, etc.

like the whole that is american literature, a river runs through it.

> lately i've been wondering if otr would ever write about droughts. rying
> up rivers... thirst and stuff.
>
> my fascination with water is not doubt due as much to being born near the
> ocean , having experienced hurricanes and mostly from droughts.
>
> the flooding this year in fort waye was really cool (i can say that cos
> the damage was very very teeny).
>
> i live within a couple blocks of 2 rivers. i look at teh level every time
> i cross the bridge. i note its high and not highs.
>
> until the past 2 weeks. i have watched the skin of the bank grow larger
> and larger, as the sluggish river flows by. as the humidity climbed, i saw
> the skeletons of trees and wheels and docks begin to poke through the
> veil. now, as i drive over the bridge, there's a slight trickle down the
> center, and i can see blotches of land like leprosy sprouting almost
> overnight. i don't know how a river can dry up so quickly, but it's
> unnerving and intruiging all at once.
>
> i remember droughts. i remember being thirsty. i remember travelling and
> see people in otherareas wash their cars, sprinkle the lawns - luxury. i
> don't want to go through water shortages again.
>
> so this has no point. i am babbling, but.... wher'd the water go? if it's
> humid, how'd it go away so fast?
>
> far as i know, there are no flow controls around here....
>
> we haven't had a good rain in a month or so.
>
> rhys

paul r. soupiset
toolbox studios
454 Soledad, Suite 100