Re: iseegenius (not quite so) (obliquely OTR)

In a message dated 8/6/2002 4:42:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
kingmaker at earthlink_net writes:

>  a cursorary review of
>  most postings will show that what generally occurs here is an ongoing
>  conversation among a dozen or so people chiming in their two cents.  It
>  reads much like an afternoon in a chat room except its slower.  I refer to
>  today's discussion of listee offices as indicative of my point and not
>  necessarliy "the impressions of beautiful things" that you would argue this
>  list should undertake.  I know I'm going to hear the "one man's cubicle is
>  another man's castle" reply so don't bother.

Ok... in the spirit of a generally cranky list lately, I was ready to
completely lambast this guy, who seems to have arrived expecting the
following:

-moderation, something this list lacks in nearly any respect
-actual OTR content, something this list lacks in general, unless a show or
album release is pending or has just occurred.
-netiquette, something the list lacks and we all complain about regularly, to
absolutely no avail.
-vagueness, something we generally loathe, going to great pains to cite
sources and explain in detail our opinions

I suspect he didn't lurk long, or investigate the archives before jumping in.
 If he had, he'd have found that it:
-is threaded for his convenience, as someone else has already pointed out.
-contains recipes and haiku, for crying out loud, not just movie reviews.
-is populated by far more than a dozen people....
-has already had this content-of-the-content discussion at least twice this
year (Bruce? Can I get a statistic? *grin*)
-isn't generally welcoming to people who arrive and announce what they don't
like and who/what should be changed before even introducing themselves
properly.

So.  That said (and hey, it's not a flame, it's merely smoldering...), I'll
add:

Welcome, David!   Pull up your bench in this part of the Imaginary Apple
Orchard and join our happily-non-moderated gang... but be prepared to
describe said bench... we care about that stuff.   If you can do it in the
form of a haiku, I'll buy you a beer at the Taft show.   ;)

You haven't just joined a listserv, see, you've joined a community.

Yes, this is just my two cents... ;)
Anita