Re: Full Frontal

On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Bruce Lachey wrote:
> And Mary McCormack was rockin', like a young husky Elisabeth Shue.  That
> sounds worse in print than it was on screen.

Perhaps, but I think I know what you mean -- she's very cool.

> I'm the world's worst reviewer.  But the film was about very little
> other than how vacuous LA is, which Altman's "The Player" did as just
> subplot way better than Soderbergh did here.  Handheld video cameras
> ridiculously grainy and out of focus?  Big deal.

Is it just me, or do filmmakers *always* make Hollywood the topic of their
so-called "experimental" movies?  Soderbergh does it with _Full Frontal_,
Mike Figgis does it with _Timecode_ ... it's as though the filmmakers
can't be experimental without *explicitly* tethering their experiment to
the movie industry somehow ... it's as though they feel we will find the
experiment too strange and unfamiliar, so, to give us some easy reference
points, to give us something to hold onto, they make their films revolve
around Tinseltown and all the stuff we hear about in gossip mags ...