Re: moviethon vacation

On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Jeff Summers wrote:
> #31 Annie Hall (Woody Allen)--this DVD is two-sided: one side is
> wide-screen, and the other side is the standard version.

Yeah, all the movies Woody directed between '71 and '80 are like that on
DVD, except for _Manhattan_ (1979), which has never been available in
anything but a letterboxed format, not even on VHS.  The other two Woody
Allen boxed sets, which cover every subsequent feature film he directed
until early '92, have the widescreen versions of the films only.

> For some inexplicable reason, Blockbuster has put a big sticker on the
> wide-screen side.  Guess I'll be watching the standard version.

That is sooooo sucky.

There *is* one rather nasty screw-up on this disc.  In one famous scene,
Woody and Diane Keaton make small talk, but the subtitles reveal what they
are really thinking; well, in order to accomodate the fact that there is
more than one language on this DVD, the DVD uses a subtitle-free version
of the film and then adds digital subtitles below the picture, and when
the English subtitles in that scene begin, they are prefaced by the word
"Thinking:" -- as if we were too dumb to figure that out ourselves.  (I
don't believe the subtitles in the other language use any such word.)