Re: Re evolution stuff

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, ryan richards wrote:
> I'm not trying to get in the last word or anything, but was rather
> wondering if any of you felt that much of this debate results from the
> debate of "old" earth verses "young" earth. . . . has anyone ever heard
> of the "gap" theory- that is, the theory that the account in Genesis 1:1
> was the original creation by whatever means God chose while Genesis 1:2
> is actually the beginning of the account of God's re-creaction of earth
> after it been laid waste for some unrevealed reason.

I've heard of that one several times over the years, but I don't think it
affects the debate one way or the other, because a literalistic reading of
Genesis would still assert that everything from 1:2 on took place just
6,000 years ago or so, and evolutionists would still assert that it took
all those lifeforms millions or billions of years to evolve.