Last night's show @ the HighDive

What a great night!!

We rolled into Champaign around 7:30 and met up with
Linford after their soundcheck.  We helped set up the
merch table and chatted for a little bit.  I was
surprised to find that he remembered playing a show at
Anderson University in Indiana back in '94...my first
OTR experience :)  Before they left to get some food
before the show, we gave Linford a box of chocolates
from a small family-owned store here in Springfield, IL
that is known for excellent confectionary.

The opening act was pretty good...Robynn Ragland lives
in C-U and has really made a name for herself in St.
Louis.  She played about 5-6 songs with a drummer and
bassist.  Check out her website at
www.robynnragland.com; she has a great voice and stage
presence...not to mention being very down-to-earth and
easy to talk with.  While she was playing, Karin
wandered back and thanked us for the chocolate.  I
hesitantly asked if she wouldn't mind working in "Cast
Me Away"...the MP3 for this month had really gotten me
in the mood to hear it live.  She said she would check
with Linford and see what they could do.

Anyway, the show was fabulous.  The crowd was well-
behaved for a bar venue and to my delight, they
played "Cast Me Away" after the second song of their
set...Karin introduced it by mentioning our names,
thanking us for the gift, and regarding the song,
said "It's more of a prayer, really".  They then
proceeded through a fairly typical set list (sorry,
forgot to write it all down...perhaps Michael will
later)  I truly enjoyed the fact that they jammed for
quite a while on several songs including "Little Blue
River" and "Lucy".  I think part of the fun of a live
show is hearing the musicians really experiment and
complement one another's improvisations.

It was a late night; the encore wrapped up around 12:45
or so.  We helped pack everything up and got back here
to Springfield around 3 am.

My last observation from a wonderful night...Karin,
Linford, and Jack are truly quality people.  I can't
tell you how many times Linford and Karin thanked us
for our help and the gift.  They were gracious, polite,
and kind.  It meant so much that they were willing to
work in a song that wasn't even on the set list.

I'll stop there...I can't cover everything that was
said or happened last night.  Those of you out in Iowa
are in for a treat the next couple nights!

happy and sleepy - Joel