this ya-ya girl thing

well, steve of the hill people, we might be related.
where are you from?  only a few generations back of
the halls we have lots of hills.

anyway :), you said:

>disposal.  They cut the heart
>of suffering out of the characters in the book and
>turned it into melodrama.

i haven't read the books so i can't make the
comparison.  what did they take out?

>They no longer were real people with motivations but
>characatures of the South and continually shown to be
>idiots in comparison to their calm and rational
>menfolk.

i didn't walk away with the impression that they were
only types, but they did play up the southern thing
(which was hilarious!  i know many people like them).

moreover, one of the greater powers of a novel is a
singular story, while specific to various characters
and motivations, that reaches _many_ who nod and
identify somewhere in their lives, thoughts and/or
hearts.  a prototypical southern woman (of the setting
presented) very well could have experienced similar
issues.  i know a few :)

as for the dichotomy of men and women in the film
(that whole rational thing or being ashamed to be
represented by such women): in some families such is
the case, no matter how awful or strange it is.  i'm
not saying it's intrinsically feminine :)

i'm not offended b/c i don't think the motivation of
ya-ya was some classic feminist move anyway.  so i try
to take it for what it is.  as a movie viewer, i'm
hardly looking for every social implication and
widespread panic available in suce fare.

i'd be a wreck if i did.

>  I am confused how a woman  could go to this film
>and feel a good deal of pride in their gender as
>described in the film.

it may sound funny, but i don't look to examples round
about me (or in movies for heaven's sake) to validate
my gender and make me proud.  that's my job.

have a wonderful day!,
j. marie

=====
All human nature vigorously resists grace because grace changes us and the change is painful. -Flannery O'Connor