Re: Radio Satan

Peter,

You raise all the right questions so I shall do my best to answer for both
our sakes.  As far as God not being able to contradict His own nature this
is obviously true.  I don't even know for certain that it's necessarily a
question that has to be answered (or can be for that matter).  God (assuming
there is One) obviously choose to create the universe and unless you are
Hindu and believe that the material universe is God every bit as much as the
God that we can't perceive then you have to give me that much (if you feel
like it :).  So the question is did God have create anything at all or could
God have existed (in triune form in my theology) eternally without it?  The
answer is I Don't Know, but my position (at the moment) is that if the
universe isn't a necessary component of God's existence then God didn't have
to make it.  In my view free will is the God given ability to act outside of
preset conditioning.  Maybe it's best to compare humans to animals in order
to be convincing.  Take a cat for example, a creature that is constantly
reacting to it's environment.  Experiment on (in an uncruel matter of
course) and observe a cat's behaviour for any extended period of time and
you will soon learn what free will isn't.  If you make a gesture to strike
the cat for instance it will always react in selfdense- it Cannot help it.
I, on the other hand, could choose to let someone strike me for some moral
cause or what have you.  If you think that Ghandi for instance had an
impulse to starve himself and then had no choice but to follow through
because his brain chemistry, which function to help him survive, wouldn't
let him eat a rice cake then your view of impulses don't seem to jive with
what seems "natural" if you will (but probably won't).  More later.