Re: Radio Satan

>From: "Peter T. Chattaway" <petert at interchange_ubc.ca>
>Subject: Re: Radio Satan
>Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 23:07:01 -0700 (PDT)
>
>On Mon, 20 May 2002, ryan richards wrote:
> > You know, the great thing about free will is that the Christianknows
> > it's out there and can truly choose it and live it whereas the
>atheist, because of his/her deterministic world view, has to try and
>conjure it up.

Peter wrote:

How does the Christian know it's out there?..............
>Feeling dizzy yet?  :)

Ryan replied:

First and foremost, I have been living in a state of vertigo for so many
years that dizziness for me seems kind of natural so believe it or not I
could easily follow all of the above.  The Christian knows it's out there
because that's pretty much the whole point of his/her being here- that is to
love God and enjoy Him forever (the chief end of man don't cha know) which
can only truly be done through an act of free will.  Sorry, but "small
wonder" cannot truly love her parents no matter how good her programmer was.
  In fact, if you really want to get deep into this shit I view human
existence as a kind of experiment in free will- and the unwitting guinea
pigs we may very well be.  Never the less, this is our lot in the harsh
scope of Theology.  Now, do we need the grace of God to do what's right?
I've seen many a humanist do what's right with no benefit to themselves and
they certainly didn't ask for the grace of God and then I assume did not
receive the grace of God to do the deed.  Think of a Peace Corps volunteer
and what they accomplish under humanistic principles and with no external
reward.  I think there are instances were one would probably need the grace
of God in order to do the right thing because of fear or some such
inhibitor.  I have personally been in such situations and can attest that I
couldn't have accomplished said deed without the influence/inspiration or
whatever of a higher authority.  Now important part.  Did God's grace force
me to act or did that grace happen within my choice to act?- my personal
experience was that of the latter.  I never sensed the courage to do what I
thought was impossible task at the time until I actually started to do it.
     As far as your craving for a chocolate bar goes and the philosophical
journey that ensued I personally think you took the easy way out by taking
the bus on home.  Because you knew there would be a definate negative
consequence for your action I think it would have been a definite exercise
in free will for you to have done so, because pain and the avoidence thereof
is the greatest prompter of the will (in my experience and what I have
observed in others as well as read about).

Must quit here for now but stay tuned.