Re: A.I.

On Mon, 20 May 2002, Sweet & Tender Hooligan wrote:
> Important?  Nah.  Just more sentimental hoo-hah from Spielberg.

You jest, of course.  :)  I mean, Kubrick's fingerprints are all over that
film, and if it does have a superficial Spielbergian sentimentality, the
underlying story is still a very bleak and depressing one.

> Fascinating premise, sure, but the promise of that premise is never
> fully realized. (And Moses supposes his toses were roses...<g>)

But Moses supposes erroneously!  _Singin' in the Rain_ fan, are ya?  :)

> Anyway, it seemed to me that this story had already been told - way back
> in 1982.  It was called "Blade Runner," and it was a much more
> interesting and effective film.  :)

Maybe when Ridley Scott releases his *next* version of the film (and there
*is* another one coming -- that "director's cut" in the early '90s was
apparently not quite what the advertising claimed it was), I will finally
begin to see what all the fuss is about.  :)