Re: a few things

--- Don Smith <dasmith at rotse2_physics.lsa.umich.edu>

And then said:

> it always
> strikes me as curious how and when people decide to
> move from "I didn't like
> it" to "it was bad".

and moved on to say:

> but if the statement changes
> to "it is bad", that's a claim about the film
> itself: can it be evaluated for
> the same kind of truth content as "the film is in
> black and white", or is the
> question fundamentally different?

The way I see it, all the things you are saying are
equal.  A person can not like the film *and* think it
bad, because everyone has subjective definitions of
what good and bad are.  Not everyone has take a film
study class and can use a pre-determined set of rules
to say that due to form or design, a certain film is
bad or good.  For most people, watching films is a
form of entertainment and most folks don't apply a
rigorous set of rules to the subject matter when
sitting back and enjoying themselves.

So, I say (for me at least) it seems that people *can*
make the distinction that they did not like a film
because they thought it was bad.  After all, aren't
the most base human judgements "good" and "bad"?  To
compare the two along with a definitive set of rules
like black and white, or film noir or black comedy
doesn't seem logical to me.  I don't know of anyone
who has laid out a set of guidelines stating that if a
film falls into "this" category is is bad, or "that"
category is is good.

just my thoughts,