San Diego 5/10 & Los Angeles 5/11.. dashboard hula girl thoughts

NIKKI!  I'M HERE!  :D

*1st warning:  extremely long winds ahead.

*2nd warning:  I may be all over the place for this as my
adventure 'cross the pacific involved other factors that made
the shows much more than a couple hours each night in a venue in
California.

Okey doke.  I'm only gonna write only one of these so I'm going
to make this easy.  First part is for you setlist folks who pry
roll your eyes when you see anything bigger than *6k* as the
size of the review (i am not one of you).  Second part is just
really damn fantabulous.  :)

** for the listee(s) who just can't stand the blah blah blah:

San Diego 5/10:
setlist:

bothered
anything at all
jesus in new orleans
green clouded swallowtail
i radio heaven
little blue river
all i need
holy rain
the world can wait
ohio
jack's valentine
miles
*encore
orphan girl

cool little venue, small little crowd (pry 40 people) and a cozy
damn show.

Los Angeles 5/11:
setlist:

same as san diego w/ these changes:

opened w/ 'go down easy' then went into 'bothered'
also did 'etcetera whatever' but i can not remember between
which songs, Steve might though.

*encore
orphan girl & latter days

loved the knitting factory, really cool atmosphere and the extra
coolness of meeting a few listees... hmm, who could they
possibly be... ;)

I got into LA late Tuesday night and Mickey Moused my way
through Disneyland Wednesday and finally got to meet up w/
Listee Steve that night for dinner.  Had some *delish* Peruvian
grub, went to the SecondSpin used cd store(purchases were made,
Steve found me my first Monk CD, among others) and then to Goat
Hill Tavern where I had some Cechkoslovakian(sp?) beer and more
cool conversation.  What a cool, mellow, easy to talk too and
easy to hang out with smartass that Steve from So. Cal. is. ;)
*ahem* anyway..

All day Thursday was dedicated to Magic Mountain - that was some
kick ass body-spinning fun.

***  Ok, here we go.  Extra long, extra winded and no apologies.
 If you don't like it, tough.  *sweet smile*

San Diego, 5/10:

Steve and I got something to eat and then off we went along the
coast of southern California.  Heard a full CD of Lucinda
Williams for the first time and also some Pedro the Lion for the
first time, liked both quite a bit.

Took the Kettner Blvd exit sign and down the road we go lookin'
for the Casbah.  I'm looking at building #'s and Steve goes,
"hey, the casbah. and look!"  And what do I see but Linford and
Jack unloading equipment into the venue, Muahaha!  I think I
pointed a lot making odd noises that if translated to english
would mean something like "no way! not even! oh my god!"  You'd
have to ask Steve though. ;)

I think we got there about an hour before scheduled time.  Jack
was standing outside as we walked up and we talked for a little
bit.  He's quite the haphazard looking sort and it made me smile
just looking at him.  He's got this vibe that just says, "i have
character and it is kick-ass".  Don't think he's aware of that,
though he might be now. ;)  The door was open and they were
setting up and starting soundcheck.  Linford came to the door w/
that great lil' "you here to see a rock show?" line, we said our
Hi's and I shook his hand and introduced myself.  How
wonderfully boggling it is to say who you are to someone you've
looked so forward to seeing and have them respond w/ a smile, an
expression of recognition and say "oh yea, thanks for coming all
this way".  I finally got the balls up to go inside and lurk
along the wall for some of soundcheck before the big bald
bouncer had us remove ourselves.  He was nice though, hence my
not saying the 'big *bad* bald bouncer'.

Doors opened, we got us some beer and waited a for Over the
Rhine.  They came out and all 40 of us did the welcome claps.
Found great stools that were no longer great the minute they got
up there cause some tall dude decided he found a great place to
stand right in my direct line of view.  Courtesy people, its in
the dictionary, its valuable, and others appreciate it.  At
least turn around to check if there may be, oh, 5-10 people
sitting in the the area behind you.  Especially when there's
absolutely no one else standing on the main floor area yet,
TYVM.

First thing they did was ask about travellers, if anyone had
come farther than the general area.  I went into dorky mode and
Steve finally said "speak up!"  Me:  "Hawai'i".  She laughed in
a way that might've said "no shit..".  Then came Bothered.  I
asked the bartender if sitting on the floor was ok and he said,
"yeah.  we just laugh at you guys".  Ha.  Like I'm a stranger to
being laughed at, pffft.  So Michelle preceeded to plant her ass
right smack infront of Karin about 4' back from the stage and
enjoy my first OtR live show.  Even the planes flying overhead
every 4-7 minutes (we were a couple blocks from the San Diego
airport) didn't phase me.  I found it added to my adventure,
actually.  The planes didn't drown them out at all, you could
just definitely hear each and every one.  You'd hear one coming
and Karin would just smile/smirk and keep on singing... oh fun
it was.  Already typed the setlists so I'll just comment on few
doozy's that stood out (they were all wonderful to me, just, you
know what i mean).

*Jesus in New Orleans; finally heard this and dug it.  I can see
why the 'Craa-aa-aaaaa-zy' chorus line gets attention on the
list and it's hard to be more excited than I already am for the
new CD or two so I can here this ANYTIME I WANT, HA!

*I Radio Heaven; stripped down and darker w/ Jack on slide
gee-tar.  Very nice.  This song was one that grew on me and it
was a treat hearing it and hearing it this way.

*Little Blue River;  unlike my show companion, *ahem*, I very
much like this song.  For me its like getting an extra scoop of
Karins voice in a chocolate dipped waffle cone and Jack's slide
guitar is the chopped macadamia nuts covering that chocolate.

*Ohio;  There's just something about Karin's songs.  It's not
that I think one is a better writer than the other, I don't know
what it is to be honest.  But every song she's written has
walked into my head and found big comfy bean bag chair to sit on
on first listen.  I can think of no other way to explain it.

*Jack's Valentine;  Linford talked about their diction and how
someone in Portland asked Linford who Edward was, refering too
the line, "there's that word again".  Heh, so now Linford thinks
of someone named Edward in his song.  Karin did that wailing
thing she does nice 'n 'rar' like for this.  You go girl!

*Miles; they dedicated this to everyone who traveled miles and
miles to come see them.  aww shucks. :P

I sat enrapt and very happy on the floor.  Selfishly thankful
for the lack of a large crowd and sponging everything up.  It
was truly wonderful to sit there, *watching* them perform.  How
many times had I pictured that I've lost count.  After the show
Karin was at the bar talking to those who wanted to meet her and
I took my goofy little self up, waited, and when she looked at
me I shook her hand saying "Hi Karin, I'm michelle from Hawai'i"
(goofy grin included), with that perma grin thing going on.  She
gave the biggest smile, said it was so good to finally meet me,
thanked me for the lei I sent out, and said she couldn't believe
I flew out to CA to see the show.  Yea, well, my mother couldn't
either. ;)   She said they try to keep up w/ the lists and that
they knew I was wanting to get out there but they weren't sure
what show(s) and that they had asked the same question in San
Francisco about anyone travelling long distances to see them.
Dude.. c'mon.. how cool is that?!  My goal was to be present in
the flesh for a live OtR show and *hopefully* get to say hi and
shake their hands and exchange smiles.  To have her tell me all
that just made it beyond tip-top.  I asked her and Linford and
Jack to sign my ticket stub and they obliged.  That sucker's
gonna be treasured for a long long time.  Snagged me a set-list
too.  As did Steve.  Woo-hoo!

We headed back to LA, stopped for food and talked about the
show, songs we'd love to hear live, the list, other interactions
w/ listees Steve's had...  good conversation to go with a good
time.

Los Angeles, 5/11:

My great memory has been total shit since Thursday morning and I
can't remember what time we got there, but it was early, and
there were 2 opening acts.  I had brought out a goody bag for
Karin, Linford & Jack and brought it with me this night.  I went
to see the door man of the main stage and started to tell him
about seeing them the night before and telling them I'd be
bringing stuff for them to this show and was there anyway he
would be able to ask them if it was all right for me to give it
to them now... blah blah.  I wasn't even done w/ that question
when Sean (the doorman) says, "sure, follow me".  Uhh... Ok?
Around a few corners, down a hallway and he knocks on the door
and *voila*, Karin pops her head out.   She and Linford were
there.  They were very gracious, very kind and wore smiles
(thank goodness).  I talk at a speeded up rate when I'm excited
and uh, heh, well, went right into my "this is this and this is
that and i got this cause of this and that cause that" shpeel.
I hope they were at least amused.  I know I was, oh man, heh.

I brought the Image magazine w/ Linfords memoir w/me on the trip
hoping I'd get to go home having it signed.  It wasn't a goal,
but a really big finger crossing.   He saw me take it out of the
bag and said "you actually mananged to dig up a copy of that?"
Something like that anyway.  Heck yea I did man!  I jumped on
the chance to read something written from Linford un-related to
OtR.  How many of you ordered that issue?  I *know* I'm not the
only one.  It was all just so far beyond anything I had wanted
to gain from going out there and I was on a serious fluffy
cloud, just ask Steve.  Poor dude had to be front and center
witness to all my flabbergastation (if thats not a word, it is
now cause i say so).

Went to the bar and met Listee Melanie and her friend Bryan.
And it just got better and better.  Walked on Hollywood Blvd for
a bit stepping on the stars and gawking at Marilyn Monroe's hand
and foot prints among others.

When we got back to Knitting Factory the first act was up.  Her
last name was Abacross(?), not sure.  I'm not being forgetfully
rude its just that we only caught her last 2 songs.  I liked her
voice a lot.  Then came Jim&Jennie and the Pinetops.  My god!
All that was missing was some Moonshine!  They were absolute fun
and sounded great.  Like Steve, I left the venue that night w/
both their cd's and a t-shirt.  Which I wore on the plane ride
home, btw. ;)

Then it was our favorite lil' band again.  All smiles and  ready
to go.  I loved hearing Go Down Easy as I really love that
little tune.  After Bothered (second song that night), Karin
said the next song was about travelling and that someone was
there that came all the way from Hawai'i for the show and that
I'd come to see them in San Diego the night before and that I
was definitely paying my dues.  And that my fellow listees, is
where my tear ducts burst right out.  Again, ask Steve.  Then
she said, "this song is for Michelle"  I could not believe it.
Just a big, sappy, overly grateful fan was I.

Someone in the audience bought and brought them up drinks,
setting them infront of each of them and sat back down.  After
the next song Karin thanked whoever it was that did that and
then after seeing who it was says... "Snoop?  Hi honey!"  Dude!
Steve and I both were like, "snoop?  snoops here?!  what
the...!?"  Being that Steve had never met Snoop Duggy Dug (which
I didn't know till after the show), he wasn't sure either.

Before they did Miles, Karin talked about the tribute CD ("i
thought you either had to 1) have a hit or 2) be dead, to have a
tribute cd") then said it was for the people who travelled Miles
to see them, smiled and mentioned my name again... the fluffy
cloud still lingers folks. :)  More great music, more little
snipets (the edward story, the panties story, talking about what
Ohio was about), and a last encore of Latter Days, the show was
over.  Melanie said something about setlists so I B-Lined it and
snagged one again for her.  She's a sweetie.  I think she and
Bryan left soon after that.

I had my Cheap Tattoo CD in my bag to catch Jack to have him
sign so while I was doing that, Steve found the one Karin called
Snoop and it was, in the flesh, Snoop Duggy Dug.  My god what a
character that dude is!  Big ol' smile and every word and body
motion he makes drips w/ energy.  He and his girlfriend left Las
Vegas that morning and coming straight to the show.  The
transformation in his face and actions when he realized who
Steve was and that he did indeed know of him too was worth the
trip itself, haha!  I'm a chronic archive digger.  So even
though I wasn't *here* when he was around, I know of and have
read the stories and posts and craziness.  I kept saying "I
can't believe I'm meeting Snoop!?", and he'd say "I can't
believe you're the one that came from Hawai'i!?"  He flung his
arms around Steve what? 2-3x out of pure "Dude! I know who you
are!!" excitement.

I got to ask which song on Besides has his yell that he's so
darn proud of on it and he says, "Ok ok!!  The first yell after
My Love Is A Fever is me, the second one is Nikki *add big ass
duggy dug grin and all the talking with his hands you can
picture*"  He said to say Hi to the gang and to drop him a 'Hi',
he's at the same email.  What a night.  What great shows.  And
what great company and new friends I've met.

Tim and Erik were at the merch table.  Tim's been on it for a
while I think but is silent for the most part and Erik only
stumbled on the list about 3-4 days before the show he said.
So, Hi Tim and welcome Erik, :) it was great sharing a handshake
and smiles with you.

Any else that comes off this keyboard will be a repeat of
something already said at this point.  If I've spaced out on any
highlights, then that ball is in Steve's court. ;)  And if
there's any of you still left reading this... I owe you a drink
when we finally meet.  ;)

Perma-grinning in Paradise,
michelle

~~ sorry for the delay. i came back from vacation and my parents
started theirs, leaving me alone in the office w/ a weekends
worth of mail and a lot of phone messages.