Re: Holland in shock: Dutch politician killed

> On Tue, 7 May 2002 yellowpolo at hotmail_com wrote:
>

> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/europe/newsid_1971000/1971423.stm
> >
> > http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A40353-2002May6.html
>
> i saw that! i was a bit taken aback. what's going to happen to his party
> now?

Today it was decided that the elections will take place as scheduled next
wednesday but there will be no campaigning by any of the parties. And at
least until the weekend there will be no polls.
Also his party has decided to continue in the elections and not formally a
new leader. (if this were possible at such short notice; it happens
sometimes in local elections that the first candidate dies (though usually
of natural causes and not by murder) and this person remains on the
ballots.)
The problem is that with Pim Fortuyn, he and his party were new to these
elections. Pim was first the leader of another party which he was kicked out
of this February (he called for a change to the constitution to weaken the
anti-discrimination paragraph).
He then started his own party, and that's basically it. He *was* the party.
But the polls would give him 20-30 seats in parliament (out of 150).
All others in his team are unknown people with little political experience.
So when a lot of people will still vote for Pim there will be a large party
(possibly the biggest) of political nonos which could make the formation of
a new geovernment much more difficult.
Besides, I do not think that his party will survive four years of
parliament. They're too much individual people instead of a real party. Then
again, this tragedy might unite them and make them very tight.

Mark