Re: Essential Indie Artists - Sharing Tree Possibility

Brad Caviness <bigwigenterprises at yahoo_com> wrote:
> I'm already picking out artists for a cd...

i think i'll have an acoustic CD and a rock CD...
still working on what to put on them... but i think
5-6 artists, 2-3 songs/artist...

i don't know about the round-robin approach... i'm
thinking more of a 1:1 thing?  round-robin might
work, though... hmm...

> I'd be interested in what we qualify as "indie".
> Sigur Ros? Dashboard Confessional? Vigilantes of
> Love? Rufus Wainwright? I like a lot of bands that
> have received a fair amount of exposure, but remain
> outside the pop culture mainstream, or should we
> stick to artists who have not yet received a wide
> amount of national attention?

i'm thinking that artists on a major label is not
elligible.  DC and Rufus are on one, and Sigur Ros
is licensed to one.  VoL is no more, and Bill is
doing his on his own (so i think Bill would count).
helping out the do-it-yourself artists...?

but, in all reality, it'll be up to the compiler of
each individual compilation to decide.

my main goal was to bring to light the *way* lesser
known regional artists, local treasures... then i
guess i expanded it to any artist not on a major
label.

artists who put out their records themselves are the
main thing i was looking for... perhaps.

what do others think?

Dan

np: faith no more - king for a day

=====
*here are two wonderful pages that I (Dan) maintain*
     VISIT - My Essential Music Favorites List:
              http://www.dlm.net/gc/

     VISIT - Pixie Princess Jewelry Studios at:
          http://www.pixieprincess.com/