re Oils

I got a blue colored cassette tape of Blue Sky Mining when I was in high
school.

It opened several doors and windows in my musical world, letting in
several beams of sunshine.

It had songs that confused me for a long time, then later I understood
'em.  Good experience for a young lad.

My little Northern Indiana town where I spent 3.5 years of high school
was so isolated in terms of radio waves, that this music was basically
"alternative" there.  So was U2.  Aye de mi.  It's a radiowasteland in
Rochester, Indiana, it is.

So I remember that album as a great little aural piece of my high school
career.

But I also had albums by Warrant and Slaughter, so, uh.  Uh.

Did any other late eightes/early nineties highschoolers out there
experience Pearl Jam as a revelation?  Like, I had been trucking along,
listening to the bands on the radio, slowly growing bored with fifth
generation hair rock like Firehouse (*didn't* buy that) and Steelheart
(*or* that).  Listening to my little blue cassette.  Then "Even Flow"
came on MTV, and I thought, "I think . . . I think this is something that
I was looking for.  I can't explain why it's different.  I think.  Must
go.  Must purchase and ponder."

I was also very relieved when they started phasing out the spandex.

Where the down boys go (to lurk),

Fred