Re: 77s

the letter in which Mark get more than he asked for:

<< > if i want to explore the music of the 77s, what is a
 > good album to start with?

depends,

for a good overview I'd say the DOUBLE 88 disc.  It was originally released
as a single live disc but now it's been re-released with a second show so
make sure if you get this not to get the original single disc.
It is live though, and while jamming out more than the studio discs it also
has all the inherent problems of live recordings so it may not be the best
one to start with after all...

For studio, I'd second Sticks and Stones.  There's not a loser in the bunch
and This is the Way Love just rocks your pants off.  It's got quite a bit on
it too as after a full length disc it includes 4 tunes from their Island
years with Pearls Before Swine clocking in at 8:12 min.  Possibly the closest
to a 'signature' 77's disc.

Of course, if you wanna spend a bit I'd recommend starting with where they
started.  The 1-2-3 box set is their first 3 albums and it includes loads of
demo and live stuff.  You can hear them progress from garage band sound to
pop to straight our rock and roll.  Lotta music here for your buck.

and if you ever get the chance to see the 7's live DO NOT MISS IT.  They put
on one full force in your face rock and roll show.  I once persuaded an old
girlfriend to drive for 5 hours to see them and she kinda hemmed and hawed
but during the middle of the first tune she looked at me and mouthed
(couldn't begin to hear her) "it was worth it!" To paraphrase what Brian Q
Newcomb once said of Mike Roe: "if ever someone was born to this it's Mike
Roe, the man just drips rock star"

by the way, if you find you do love 'em, I'd then highly recommend Mike's
live disc for his fans called "It's For You."  It's a bit more stripped down,
 (but still driving 7's music) totally relaxed and just great fun.  It's from
a fully fan booked and for the most part fan request set tour he did a while
back.  He took any request seriously and even broke into Roger Miller's King
of The Road for someone.  And it's two very full discs of tunes.

kevin