RE: Meet you at Cstone? (was Re: From Rose (Acidroz at aol_com))

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, rhys daily wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Bob the dancing monkey wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Dusty Volume wrote:
>
> dancing bob
> > >

> > Sorry.  Throwing pro wrestling terminology into a discussion on an OtR
> > mailing list seemed cognitively dissonant in a marvelous way, Dusty.
> > For fuller understanding...
>
> thanks for that explanation, now i knw what it is i am supposed to have
> done or was imagined to have done (:

<laugh> Pleased to be of service.  Y'see, I'm all about getting
information out to the the peeps.  And as a public service, here's a
little more.  Probably will be the last of it, unless someone's really
interested...

> > Enziguiri - a martial arts counter to which one catches someone's
> > kick, and uses the caught leg as leverage for a roundhouse kick.
>
> that one sounds the coolest (: how do you learn stuff like this? is it on
> TV somewhere? or is it just in comic books?

	It looks about as tremendous as it sounds.  Actually, Rob Van
Dam's 'reverse enziguiri' (catch the leg, plant one leg over the caught
leg, while bringing the other one up into a roundhouse kick) is even
cooler.  Yeesh.  28, and I'm saying 'cooler'.

	'ranas, Stratusfactions, enziguiris, planchas, springboard moves,
and frog splashes (not to mention the seriously insane stuff that the
Japanese wrestlers do...) tend to be the purview of the junior
heavyweight divisions in an American professional wrestling federation, as
they're the only ones to be agile enough to do them.  Due to a recent
step-up in women's wrestling in the WWF by Nora "Molly Holly" Greenwald,
Amy "Lita" Dumas, Trish Stratus, and the woman wrestler called "Jazz",
women are beginning to do this stuff as well in the US (apparently, the
women in Japanese wrestling are right in step with their male
counterparts...American women's wrestling still has too much emphasis on
T&A.)

	This style, called 'cruiserweight' in the US, is generally
regarded to have been invented by Mexican 'lucha libre' and Japanese
'puroresu' wrestlers, then brought to the US by folks like Taka Michinoku,
Rey Mysterio Jr, the Guerrero clan, and Kid Dynamite of the old tag-team
called the British Bulldogs.

	Frankly, it's a lot of fun to watch, and a lot more fun than
watching some of the big guys brawling.  On the other hand, some of the
big guys are also beginning to go beyond punching, kicking, and the
occasional body.  Folks like 1996 Olympic gold medalist Kurt Angle have
really brought the whole thing one step higher in athleticism.

> especially when you don't know what i look like. (:
>
> faceless parenthetical smilies aided by text running and jumping at your
> head. wierd.

Frightening, ain't it?

-Drew J

O Drew Johnson - djohnson at snowplow_org - Ld Robert Bartholomew, SCA  )   ^ ^
O    I also have the garlic powder. - Diablo - 10/4/98, goats.com    X  (_|_)
O            Check out rft.melm.org - Radio Free Tomorrow.           | (bunny)