My DVD horror story (tape collection from Mars)

>From: Gilhamilton at aol_com
>
>So how readily available are multi-region DVD's? I've been thinking about
>getting one if only so I don't have to wait to get all the Buffy/Angel
>discs.

[Ahead of myself aside: I got one at http:www.dvdcity.com  Reviews are on
http:www.animeondvd.com ]

Me too!  Not for Buffy, though.  I really NEED the films of Hayao
Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli.  Disney owns U.S. distribution rights, but did NOT
negotiate for DVD rights in the original deal.  So, Kiki's Delivery Service
came out on VHS (sub and dub editions!), but never on DVD.  No "Tonari no
Tortoro"- best children's movie EVER.  No "Laputa: Castle in The Sky", on
either format, though Dawson (of Creek fame) recorded all his dialogue, Jo
Hisaishi rescored the soundtrack, and trailers appeared on Disney home
videos years ago.  And my possible all-time favorite move, Porco Rosso (The
Crimson Pig) is available in France, but not here!  Yet English subtitled
and dubbed versions are available on DVD in Japan.  I could go on, but
interested parities need only peek at http:www.nausicaa.net

Years ago, at Otakon, I purchased one of the first DVD players on the
market, a Pioneer DV-606D player.  (So old it bears the former Pioneer
logo.)  The people selling it had a sign up which declared "play any movie
from anywhere in the world."  They told me it had been modified.  They were
selling Japanese DVDs.  They ran a mail order business.  So, I took the
chance and paid them $800 for a full-featured single disc player.  $300 more
than my local Circuit city or Best Buy wanted at the time.

Well, I'm confused.  Was I ripped-off?  My Midnight Oil "20,000 Watt R.S.L."
DVD WILL play on my player, but not my tv, as it is region-free but in PAL.
However, a PAL Robbie Williams DVD I ordered for a former girlfriend WOULD
NOT even play in my player AT ALL.  Period.  We had to get her a region free
player with a built-in converter, still much less than I paid for my player
years prior.  What does this mean?

I know Japanese discs are in NTSC, but a different region.  Based on the
above, I really DON'T want to pay US $60 for an imported Miyazaki film, only
to discover that the region differential will disable me from playng it.
Then there's that Korean edition of my likely all-time favorite film "Galaxy
Express 999".  (Ginga Tetsudo 999)  Sigh.  What to do?  Bittersweet
temptation...

The moral of this rant, don't trust small businessmen.  Or maybe it's just
Asians.  I just watched several of them vehemently deny knowledge of the
potential damage acryllic nails containing MMA can inflict on the
fingernails of some women on 20/20 this past Friday.  Hmmmm....

Anyway, I just wanna watch my Oils vids!!!

Burned,

Matt