Live Lunch comments...

Hello children,

    I got a chance to have lunch with Over the Rhine thanks
to the miracle of the Internet.  I didn't record the show, but I
don't think it would've been worth it, since my connection kept
dropping in and out.  But between the "connecting...." messages,
I did manage write down some notes for those who missed it.

Here's what they played:

When I Go
If Nothing Else
Seahorse
Etc. Whatever
Anything At All
Ohio
Bothered
All I Need Is Everything
My Love Is A Fever
Latter Days

Here's some notes:

- The room had a Steinway piano that Linford apparently just thought
was the cat's meow.

- Between "Anything At All" and "Ohio", they had a short interview
where they asked some questions.  One was about the changing lineup and
Linford said something to the effect that they liked to tour with
people they like to listen to, who can fit into their sound
and bring something diffrent.  He mentioned Jeff Bird and Don
Heffington.  Their plans for the next couple of months are to tour
during May and record in June and July (I can't remember
exactly how he put it, but Linford said that Virgin Records has "picked
up the option" on their contract to "do a couple of more projects."
So that sounds like good news to me.)  Then in August, they would do a
couple of weeks in Europe.

   Just as a personal aside, I would guess that Karin and Linford must
be pretty pleased with Virgin Records as so far they've kept their
mitts out of the creative process and done some amount of promotion
for the band.  Virgin Records is probably pretty happy also, as OtR
is probably moving a fair amount, though maybe not shipping platinum,
of units.

- Karin and Linford both mentioned how humbled and amazed they were
  about the Tribute CD.  They mentioned "Anyway", "Rhapsodie"
  and "Miles" (Karin's favorite) as their favorite tracks.

- "Ohio" was Karin all by herself, so was "My Love Is A Fever" which
  was something I had never heard before, just her and her acoustic
  guitar from the sound of it (unless Linford was playing the
  guitar. Can't tell over the radio!)

- Before "All I Need", Karin talked about how lately they had been
  doing some pretty mundane stuff, like filling out forms for life
  insurance.  She mentioned that according to the life insurance
  company, she was "very preferred" while Linford was... and then my
  connection cut out.  This was apparently a punchline to a joke,
  because she jokingly mentioned using part of that in the next
  album's title.

- It sounded like Linford was singing background vocals during "All I
  Need."  I don't think I've ever heard him sing.  (Of course, we've
  all heard him talk before during a song, but not singing.)  Well, I
  guess that was Linford singing on some tracks on _Til' We
  Have Faces_, but that's a first for me.

   That's about all that I can think of.  If anyone did record the
show, hook me up, yo!  I'd be most gracious.

   Peace,

   Jeff

----
"And I have no compass.  And I have no map.
And I have no reasons.  No reasons to get back."
U2 - Zooropa
jholland444 at hotmail_com    http://JeffreyHolland.tripod.com