Re: Otr lyric...

>From: Dusty Volume <dustyvolume at yahoo_com>

I declared:
> > Therefore, he is seeking regfuge in God, and God's
> > Word.  (the "fabulous
> > sword")  I've always took the song as a prayer of

"m" retorted:
>Okay, so how then can falling on a sword (imagery
>included) help out by stabbing--traditionally falling
>on a sword was used for suicide, wasn't it?

Okay, I understand where you are coming from. It is a valid notion, but I
see it differently.  Suicide was already dealt with, in "Poughkeepsie", in
which the speaker was also redeemed by grace.  Of course, L & K can write
more than one song on a given topic, as witnessed by the fact that so many
of their songs examine the dilema of unrequitted love, so...

Dying to self is part of the process of being "born again"- becoming a new
creation.  The imagery of "Within, Without" and possibly "Murder" (I can't
remember the words now) is stark and violent, to reflect this concept.
Spiritual re-birth entails a death- of the old, former person.

These lyrical metaphors are not too be taken literally, anyway.  In "Il Est
Dans Mon Pache", is the character actually playing a game of catch near an
altar?  No, but she is falling "on her face as the words hit" her ears. Just
as Jack falls near the stained glass windows as the Word hits his own.

See also:
Eph 6:17 "...the sword of the spirit, which is the Word of God..."

Matt 10:34 "I came not to bring peace, but a sword..."

Rev 19:21 "...the remnant of which were slain with the sword which proeeded
out of His mouth."

my thoughts,

matt

np - Spiritualized - Live at Royal Albert Hall