Re: animation vs. the real thing

On Sun, 31 Mar 2002, Don Smith wrote:
> I don't see why this should be a zero-sum game.  Animation and live
> action films have different sets of challenges and strengths.

Yes.  I loved the director's comment on the _Tron_ DVD to the effect that
animation, especially computer animation, shouldn't always be trying to
emulate reality, but should take advantage of its ability to create more
*abstract* images.  One of my favorite moments in that film, easily, is
the abstract animation we see as Flynn is sucked into the computer world.