Re: animation vs. the real thing

>From: Don Smith I don't see why this should be a zero-sum game.  Animation
>and live action
>films have different sets of challenges and strengths.

YAY!!

>As a light designer, let me assure you that "positioning lamps" is
>extremely
>artistic and very challenging.

No doubt.  I never said it wasn't an artistic
endeavor.   (Just making sure you noticed that.)

>So, I don't think this is an either-or situation.  Also, with regards to
>"acting" versus "just showing external gestures and facial expressions", I
>would like to point out that the vast majority of the Muppets are (in
>structure) just two hemispheres with a joint at the back, and yet the
>puppeteers can somehow convey the whole range of human emotion.  Does that
>make
>them more or less talented than "real" actors, who can convey the same
>thing,
>but have much more at their disposal to do so?  I don't think we need to
>ask
>that question.

Plus, acting for animation is just like radio.  Radio actors were THE "media
celebrities" back in the day.  Orson Wells, anyone?

> >Sure, you can talk about Robin Williams in 'Aladdin'
>
>[Shudder.]  Let's not.  He ruined that movie for me.

You can be so cool, Don.  Though I did think R.W.'s performance was better
than usual- thanks to the clever animation!  How about Chris Tucker in the
Fifth Element?  [Shudder]
Death to Smoochy,

Matt

HAPPY EASTER!