Re: hmmm...

On Sat, 30 Mar 2002, Don Smith wrote:
> I also felt that they shoehorned in plot at the expense of character.

Oh, one other thing -- I have long thought that these books would have
been better served if they had been adapted as a TV series, or as a series
of TV mini-series.  Think about it -- each book takes place over the
course of a school year, and if you got to watch them over the course of a
typical TV season, it would give you time to get to know the characters
and to watch their relationships evolve at a more natural pace.

And when you consider how much stuff was hacked out of the first book so
they could squeeze it down to two-and-a-half hours, and when you consider
that the fourth book is about three times as long, the option of making
each book a mini-series, and not a film, makes more sense, I think.

But of course, there's more money in big-screen extravaganzas ...