Re: escapism (was re: JIN-ROH and LotR)

I like your optimistic interpretation of impluse.  I think there is great
truth in the idea of spontaneousness being a sort of cure for a mundane and
determined existence.  Perhaps this what the Existentialist's call to action
was all about.  But as you stated impulses may have various sources and thus
discernment is always needed to determine which to obey and which to deny,
me thinks.