Re: JIN-ROH and LoTR

On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, The Mattrix wrote:

> > > Do you think "Shrek" was wholly appropriate for kids?
> >
> > As always, it depends on the kid in question.
>
> Hum...I agree that age and the proper unbringing are factors in
> determing how well a child will react to a film such as "Shrek", but I
> was speaking in general, broad terms.

"It depends" is as broad as I get.

> > > Roger Ebert theorized that the realistic characters from "Final
> > > Fantasy: the Spirits Within" are the stunt men of the future.
> >
> > Of the future?  What about *now*?  What about the people riding the
> > brooms and ogres and trolls in _Harry Potter_ and _Fellowship of the
> > Ring_?  Or the CGI bus that sank into the lake in _The Sweet
> > Hereafter_?  Or the obviously CGI web-slinger doing acrobatics in the
> > _Spider-Man_ trailer?
>
> That's what he said.  This was prior to most of your examples, and I
> think he was forecasting a time when living, breathing stunt men were
> relegated to the role of the simpliest of stunts.  Its just safer, and
> probably less expensive- no insurance costs.

I guess.  Last night I watched my _Spartacus_ DVD, and it occurred to me
that all the legions marching in formation near the end were *real
people*.  If that film had been made today, you just *know* they would
have created all those soldiers and costumes and weapons on a computer,
and I don't think it would have been all that impressive.

> > > I think that animation is the highest form of cinematography.
> >
> > Um, I would disagree.  I tend to think of cinematography and
> > photography as something that involves camera-work, and with most
> > animation, the camera does pretty much nothing -- the animators simply
> > give it a different drawing to snap a picture of every few frames.
>
> That's changing.  More and more animation consists of three-dimensional
> camera movements, layered backgrounds, pans, etc.

Is it the *camera* that is moving, or just the *elements* in front of the
camera (a la Disney's "multi-plane camera")?

> > > If movies are about escapism, what is more escapist than animation
> > > wherein ANYTHING can happen?
> >
> > Ah, but *are* movies about "escapism"?
>
> Sometimes.  Or always- even the most gripping or depressing or
> philosophical film takes us away rom our own limited reality for a few
> dozen mintes or so.  If we are reflecting on the lives of other
> characters, whether real or imagined, are we not escaping our own,
> personal life reflections?

No, not really, because the whole point of reflecting on their lives is to
reflect back on our own.

One of the reasons I love _The Fellowship of the Ring_ so much is because,
as corny as it might sound, I come away from that film wanting to be a
better person.  I want to be as brave as Frodo, as wise as Gandalf, as
loyal as Sam, as noble as Aragorn, even as contrite as Boromir (because,
alas, I sometimes do the wrong thing, and I sometimes drive my friends
away, and I sometimes let my doubts and fears get the best of me).

Say what you want, but there's a lot more to the film than escapism.

> > > Of course, films that boast no effects, and just simply explore the
> > > human condition are not necessarily escapist, and are often among
> > > the most compelling type of movie at the same time.
> >
> > And what about _Citizen Kane_, which, as Roger Ebert has pointed out,
> > is also a special-effects movie in its own way?  Is it "escapist", a
> > "compelling exploration of the human condition", or something else?
>
> Never saw it.  What's my pennance?

Seeing it, obviously.  And then seeing it again with the Roger Ebert
commentary.  But you might enjoy that too much.  For *real* penance, maybe
you should see it with the Peter Bogdanovich commentary, which I've heard
such bad things about, I haven't bothered listening to it myself.

> Really, Peter, I don't see much.

But to overlook *that* film?  Tsk, tsk.  :)