JIN-ROH and LoTR

All you beautiful, musical people,

     The Academy Awards are on in the background, and I am only marginally
interested- just checkin' on LoTR.  Awards shows are generally a farce.  For
example, the film in my subject heading was never nominated.
      Saturday night/Sunday morning, a friend and I joined eight other souls
in a small 40 yr. old theater in Harmarville, PA to take in the latest from
Mamoru Ohsii, an extraordinary director who works in both Live-Action AND
animation.  As a consequence, his anime films have all the qualities and
esthetic sensibilities of "real" movies.  JIN-ROH, although directed by his
protégé, was imbued with his influence and style in every frame.  It didn't
disappoint.  It even managed to explore human nature in a rather deep and
philosophical manner, as Oshii is apt to do, but with a true depth of
emotion his earlier films have lacked.
     Should a film like this have been nominated?  Well, although I'm the
wishy-washy guy who cries at the news, it was no small achievement that this
film moved me.  In animation, that is a harder to accomplish than in
live-action.  Animation has to work at making you accept it as reality,
whereas standard cinema makes you a wiling accomplice to that end.  Put
simply, Jin-Roh drew me in and left my senses reeling throughout the day.
It will not soon be forgotten.
     Has anyone sen this film?  The DVD came out at the start of the month,
which I purchased, but I hadn't the time to enjoy more than the included
soundtrack CD.  I wonder if anyone has a theory regarding the central
character, Fuse.  Did he appear detached throughout the story because he was
suffering from post-traumatic stress after the tragedy at the film's
beginning, or was it because he was more "beast" than man, sacrificing his
soul in the name of duty.  Or was it both?
     LoTR deserved to win, but just lost.  Pity, as LoTR is amazing!  The
fact that any film from the Post-Star Wars era of special effects, wherein
I've seen everything, could have "wowed" me the way loTR did is telling.
This film has staying power.  Twenty years from now, few people will
remember "A Beautiful Mind".  (Unless you LOVE Jenny C!)
     Finally, I need to say this regarding animation as a form of
cinematography.  The line between animated and live action film has long
been blurred.  Large portions of LoTR, and numerous other flicks,  were
computer animated.  90% of the "Phantom Menance" was digital, making it a
sort of inverse "Roger Rabbit", but it is not called "animated film" due to
the presence of a few flesh and blood actors.  Yet not even all the actors
were flesh and blood!  The stigma attached to animated film has got to go!
     Okay, Jar-Jar doesn't make for a compelling argument, but...

Keepin' it animated,

Matt

np Local News (sniff)