OTR popularity

Jessyka (sp?) wrote:

> someone asked about over the rhine and if we
> want them to be bigger stars and
> get more radio play and stuff like that.
>
> here is what *i* want:
>
> i want the band to do what they like to do.
> i would prefer them to continue playing in
> intimate settings...but i wish
> those intimate settings had more people attend.
> i really like their ticket prices the way they
> are!  lol
> and i do like knowing of a band where i can
> introduce people to their music...
>
> (last night was finals night for my sorority,
> and all of the sisters get to
> ask the pledges questions...i asked my little
> little what i had made her
> listen to in my car and she remembered that it
> was over the rhine!  yay!)
>
> but what i want most of all is for the band to
> make enough money to continue
> writing and making music.  let's face it...it
> sucks, but this world is a huge
> economy, and, for karin and linford to keep
> making the music we love, they
> need to make enough money so that they don't
> have to quit playing and find
> some boring 9-5 job that they would hate.
>
> if that means being played on the radio and
> mtv, then that's what happens,
> and that is what needs to be done.  just so
> long as they don't change their
> *music*, i don't care who plays them

It was I who started the thread, and your
sentiment seems to be the prevailing thought --
at least from my perspective. To contrast with
the Vigilantes, it seems as if Bill Mallonee
spins his wheels in the music industry -- can't
get support from anyone except the fans --
despite being an incredible songwriter. OTR seems
to be plugging along just fine. Maybe I'm off
base here, but it's just my take, as one person
who (to get on to the more interesting topics on
the list):

1. Doesn't live in Kentucky but has been to
Asbury Theological Seminary to see my
sister-in-law graduate four or five years ago.

2. Doesn't give a hoot about IU, but was sad to
see my alma mater, IUP (Indiana University of
Pennsylvania), lose in the Final Four of the
Division II playoffs.

3. Doesn't give a hoot about Duke, but was even
sadder to see Elizabethtown College from
Pennsylvania lose the championship in the
Division III basketball playoffs.

4. Will root for Penn State against IU and all
other Big 10 schools next fall, despite Joe
Paterno's worst season ever last year.

Jeff McCloud
teamccloud at yahoo_com