Re: "Why I Like Popular Bands, by Bruce Lachey"

--- Bruce Lachey <b_lachey at hotmail_com> wrote:

 And I
> know Kelvo and I like a lot of the same junk (EBN
> OZN is the band w/ AEIOU
> Sometimes Y) that isn't popular.

That it!  Thanks

> Sometimes I think I'm in the 0.003% of people that
> like and support real
> independent, underground, alternative, or new styles
> of music and still buy
> pop music.  Duran, Madonna, Robbie, anything Max
> Martin touches (Robyn,
> Britney, Backstreet, N*SYNC), Michael and Janet,
> Sting, etc. etc.

See, I think I'm with you on that.  If you'll
remember, I'm the one who in the past has championed
Ricky Martin and the Backstreet Boys.  But I do make a
distinction between the BB, who I like a lot, and
Nsync who I don't at all (except for that fun bye bye
bye song).  I also don't like Britney, But sometimes I
think Christina A is alright.  Even the bands I
generally don't like, I can usually find one song
that's cool.  All that is to say, I agree wit' choo.
I just like different popsters, I guess.

> "Gone" by N*SYNC is perfect, in my opinion.  If
> they'd put "Latter Days" on
> the radio before OtR had, would it have been as good
> of a song?  In my
> pea-sized brain, I say sure.
> "But, they didn't write it, therefore it's not as
> good!!".  Who gives a rat?

Believe it or not, I have asked this same question.  I
remember even asking it of myself in the good ole
70's.  I often hear a song that really is not that
great but is done by a legend so we're supposed to
accept it as artistic achievements.  I'm sorry, but if
Joey McIntyre did exactly what Bob Dylan often does,
he would be panned off the face of the earth.

Reminds me of the 'Behind the Music' I just watched on
Donny and Marie Osmond.  When 'Soldier of Love' was
first played on that huge New Yawk station, is was
credited to the mystery artist.  The thinking was that
it wouldn't have gotten a fair hearing if people knew
who it was.

Really I'm not backtracking.  I agree with you.

> Plus, I'm almost always for the "underdawg".  In the
> music world I mostly
> frequent (local or small bands, live shows), pop
> music is the devil.  Ergo,
> pop music is the underdog that I can honestly show
> eager support towards,
> and when coupled with my support for the smaller
> less popular bands fries a
> few brain synapses in some.

I'ts kind of like being a Republican who is kind of a
pacifist.  Or a conservative Christian who is
concerned about social issues.

I love the Ani Difranco phrase "I am beyond their
peripheral vision."
Or Natelie Merchant "I'm a challenge to your balance."
OR John Lennon "goo goo ka choob"

...Captain Backfire

Kelvin

=====
What if the hokey-pokey really IS what it's all about?!?