RE: Rent-a-don report

Well, at least a SMIDGEN of a clue I've got... Probably more. MUCH more.

Astrophysics I know NOTHING about (you could write a book about all I DON'T
know about that!), but food I DO know about... Lemme explain. I've been
cooking for over ten years at a 'high level' -- ever since I was at the
Baltimore International Culinary College (where I learned the basics), I've
been reading about and practicing my cooking skills, and refining them
through continuing education classes like the Gourmet Cooking class I am
currently attending. (For those that have seen my software collection, you
will have a special appreciation for this next line...) My cooking resource
collection is LARGER than my software collection! Check this:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?S1945548, for example.

My comments about Don's work were mostly centered around how the various
components of his meal hung together and their interaction... I'm sure that
the individual food components were well-executed -- I've tried Don's
Amaretto Cheesecake and found it to be quite good. Menu planning, though, is
something that is surprisingly difficult -- it's something that can still be
a challenge for me. I question the component choices, especially the variety
of citrus components.

Beyond that, there was the usual amount of jabs from The Drew (tm)...
Nailing Dr. Don for misspelling "medley", not listing all of his
ingredients, the listing of my past grades, and Don making the folks WORK
during a "Rent-A-Don" experience are all Grade-A vintage Drew.

Love,
-drew

P.S. The idea of the "art in a can" dessert is cute. If you want to
caramelize condensed milk (it's wonderful!), it's best NOT to boil it in the
can for the following reasons... You cannot determine when it's done (since
you cannot see into the can without opening it), and there is the very real
(trust me) danger of the cans EXPLODING if the pot boils dry (which it may
do if you forget to check it during the 3-4 hour (!) cooking time). You can
get better results using a bain-marie which allows more control, allows you
to flavor the caramel if you wish (some ginger or vanilla in there toward
the end of cooking can be quite nice), and is considerably safer.

Picture this... You open the can that you boiled to find that it's not quite
done enough. What do you do? Fire up the bain-marie and finish it off! So,
kitchen wisdom tells you that you should START it in something that can
FINISH it, because that's Less Work (tm). That's part of the point of
mise-en-place.