not sure i should share this, but here it goes

--- JLuvzMusyk at aol_com wrote:

> *patience*  yum.  triple yum.  while working the
> merch table in pittsburgh last week, many people
> asked my opinions on what they should buy.  my
> reasoning always ended up with telling them to buy
> *patience*.

<slowly pulling on asbestos suit>

confession time:  patience is not my favorite OTR cd.

first time i saw OTR (moonlight gardens, 1999), i
brought some money along to purchase a couple of cd's,
having only heard a couple of songs here and there.  i
had no idea what to buy, so i figured i'd just go to
the merch table and ask what they would suggest.  i
kind of knew i wanted GDBD, but had no idea what the
others were like.  whoever was working the table that
night suggested patience and, figuring if they're
working the merch table they must know what they're
talking about, i bought it.

looking back, i'm not sure why it was recommended.

don't get me wrong, it's not a bad cd.  it's still
better than 90% of the stuff out there.  but for this
new convert to OTR, it just didn't do much for me.
and still doesn't do much for me.  it's probably my
least listened to OTR disc (ironically, it's one i've
bought twice - bought one with an insert at used
kids).

rhapsodie is pure genius.  and i enjoy the two
versions of how does it feel.  but the rest of the cd
is ... non-descript.  i'm not sure i could even name
any of the other songs.

so why do i share this?  i guess i'm hoping maybe
someone will help me to better understand this cd.
lots of people on the list love it and, well, i just
don't understand why.

i've had similar experiences on other lists and
hearing other people's opinions has given me a better
appreciation for cds i'd previously dismissed (though
no one has been able to convince me that daniel amos's
"motorcycle" is any more than a weak beatles rip-off
;-) ).

please help bring me out of the darkness and into the
light that is patience.

=====