Re: elephants

Hi,

A friend of mine was at a circus as a child where an elephant went rogue, broke
his restraints, ran *through* the stands, just a few feet from where my friend
was, and ran down the street until it was shot and killed.  It wasn't just
trampling the people that got in its way, either.  She said it was deliberately
killing people; picking them up with its trunk and smashing them.  Now I have
no idea what that poor elephant had to endure in that circus before it went
berserk, but it certainly traumatized my friend.  She won't go near an elephant
or a circus.

On the other hand, our very own Shelly Ross went to an elephant convention in
Thailand last November, and if you get a chance to see her photos, I highly
recommend it.  She said this town in Thailand uses elephants instead of taxis.
She bought a whole cart load of pineapples to treat the elephants, and the
trainers told her that if she came back the next year, the elephants would
remember her as the pineapple lady.  She loved it.

--
Don Smith                          Robotic Optical Transient Search Experiment
donaldas at umich_edu                                http://xte.mit.edu/~dasmith/

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are
to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt