RE: Re: PittsburghLIVE.com interview

i couldn't have sled it better myshelf!
then again...i just downed four guinness's.

tranquilly,
david

I think it's unfortunate, but something they've remarked on for years and
since we're not, on the whole, there every night of each tour, we're
really not fit to judge.

What Linford's commenting on isn't something restricted to Over the
Rhine. I'm sure there's some kind of name for it-- maybe it's just simply
the hometown crowd takes the hometown band for granted, i.e. there's
always there, so why get excited?

Or to put it another way, and I hope they forgive me for this, let's
compare Over the Rhine to Rolling Rock. For those not in the know, it's a
beer brewed here in PA. In Latrobe, to be exact. Now, when I lived in
London, Rolling Rock was considered a slightly exotic import, and was
priced accordingly. If you ordered a Rolling Rock, your friends though,
Hm, here's someone who knows beer. All hail the beer drinker. Let us
salute his/her excellent taste. How clever he/she is to know of this
excellent invention from such a small, far-away place. Ahh, the glories
of Rolling Rock!

You come here to PA, and most people will shrug and call it swill.

Same with, say pierogies, which are considered delicacies somewhere (I'm
sure) but to someone in Pgh are basic as bread and butter. And same with
Over the Rhine. To folks from Cinci, they're Rolling Rock. They're
pierogies. We might not like it, and the very fact that we're on this
list shows we don't agree with it, but the only thing we can do is go to
the shows and do all the other weird stuff we do and show support.

I'm not saying you don't have a right to be miffed, but remember: it's
not to you Linford is really speaking. It's to the people who will shell
out big bucks to see Dave Matthews but won't go down the street to see
the band born and bred in their backyard. You know the ones. They don't
drink Rolling Rock.