Re: Media rights.. and wrongs?

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 Hazel410 at aol_com wrote:

> 1) Is a 'victimless' crime still a crime?  Should it be?  Should we
> have laws based on principles like intellectual property, or should it
> only apply in cases where someone genuinely lost profits?  (This
> probably applies more to artwork than music, although there are
> parallels between stock art companies who sell royalty free or rights
> protected images and the record labels who sell CDs and tapes...)

i personally get sick of hearing about the poor artist, the poor
microsoft firm who's getting ripped off.

yes, there are times when someone goes about acquiring stuff the wrong way
and it's wrong.

i guess ic are more about social injustices. not that i place a value on
worse or better. i do understand that rules and laws are necessary, etc
for society to exsist calmly.

> 2) In reference to the "well, if I like it I'll buy it later" bit...
> does that work for software piracy, too?  Is it ok to 'demo' warez
> before shelling out the cash?  What if it's an old version the company
> no longer sells anyway?  What if it's shareware?

i demo a lot of things. here at work it's part of what we do. at home ? if
someone has software i am dying ot try, i will borrow it see what i think.
cos i'm gonna try to to break it, and you can't do that on your friend's
machine - wouldn't be nice. i usually don't like it. i usually prefer free
stuff.

> 3) If you illegally acquire a copy of a work, and then go buy the
> original and consider it therefore ok, isn't that just a perfect
> example of trying to claim that the ends justify the means?  And what
> about the opposite:  "They're not losing anything! I'd never pay good
> money for it in any case, so what difference does it make if I take it
> for free?"

as to that: someone usually paid for it somehow. how'd you get it?

i don't own software that wasn't bought or given to me - package and all
(except for the reverse engineered stuff for linux).  i've 'hacked fixes
into windows for things i want - is that bad? you're supposed to not do
that either. illegal? dunno -it's mine now.

rhys

--
are you a turtle?