-----Original Message-----
From: owner-over-the-rhine at actwin_com
[mailto:owner-over-the-rhine at actwin_com]On Behalf Of Ysobelle at aol_com
Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2002 4:45 AM
To: over-the-rhine at actwin_com
Subject: Re: My two cents worth

On 1/27/02 1:48 AM, quoth the effervescent cqueen at tmsmail_net at
cqueen at tmsmail_net:

>The way I see it is that we are free to discuss a myriad of topics on this
>list.  We're also free to stay away from those topics with which we don't
>identify or agree.  There are quite a few threads that I tire of quickly
and
>don't care to hear any more about; those are the ones I usually delete
>without reading after a while.  For example, there was a recent discussion
>of Buffy The Vampire Slayer that went on for several days.  Since I don't
>have an interest in that show, I grew tired of the topic, and I began to
>delete the emails related to Buffy.  Those of you who don't want to talk
>about religion can do the same.

I see what you're saying, yes, but as I tried to explain, it's not the
same thing at all.

1. The Buffy thread, like the movie threads, the book threads, the
fashion threads, etc., showed up, lasted a couple of days, then went
away. The Christian theology threads come up over and over and over and
last for days and are usually multiple. It's a thread that comes up
second only to actual OtR discussion, I think.

2. Buffy is a pretty universal thing-- anyone can watch or not watch as
they choose, no matter how they were raised or what they believe. It's a
TV show. If you're interested, you can check it out one evening when you
have nothing else to do. Or not. Christianity is, as I think people have
said, a discussion generally of interest to Christians.

3. Buffy is a TV show. It is not, in the grand scheme of things, all that
important. I can argue as passionately as I want about the merits of
Buffy as opposed to Ally, but in the end, IT'S A TV SHOW. Maybe I'm
wrong, but I happen to think religion is a fairly weighty, important
issue. Once again, it's like bringing a 900 pound gorilla to the dinner
table. It's your religion, so it's a part of your life. For the rest of
us, it's not. It's a 900 pound gorilla.

I'm glad I made a lot of you think. It's weird being the token Jew, but I
suppose in a way I'm used to it. If anyone wants to ask me anything, feel
free, but unless you ask me to answer on the list, or unless a few people
ask me the same thing, I'm probably going to answer off-list, since
otherwise, I'd be a hypocrite.

Now. I've just gotten home from several hours of ill-advised but
delicious dancing at a yummy Goth night, I'm exhausted, and I REEK of
cloves. I'm also in a lot of pain-- thus the ill-advised part; I start
formal physical therapy from the car accident on Monday, thank G-d. But
in any case, I'm going to bed.

Night, all.