RE: fuck

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, David Armstrong wrote:
>> it's stupid as fuck.
>>
>> (yes, i'm really bored today.)
>>
>> Dan

I was about to mention that too...because the intent is the same.  So why
is the implication not the same?  In fact, I tend to think it's worse.
Because the reader has to infer the real word, it is almost as if the
taboo word came from their mind instead of the writer's.  It shifts blame
on to the reader and away from the writer.

(sorry if that's not especially clear...I'm unsure of how to word it.)

> a buncha' years ago...i heard that "fuck" was an acronym for:
> Fornication Under Command of the King.
> dating back to the middle ages or something...
> anybody know the true origin of this colourful word?

An old history teacher in high school said it was "For Unlawful Carnal
Knowledge."  Supposedly in puritan towns when someone was arrested and put
into the stocks, that was painted above their heads.  It was an indicator
of their crime.

This /was/ from a rather misguided teacher, though, so do as I and take it
with a grain of salt or two.  =)

-Smitty