Re: Nine Inch Nails and other sundries

In a message dated 1/25/02 12:22:37 AM Central Standard Time,
Ysobelle at aol_com writes:

 By which I trust you are not saying only Christians can bring healing
 into the world?

 Of course not.   When I said "I also try to listen to artists who are, in
some way, trying to bring healing into a sick world" I meant any artist,
Christian or not.  Sorry I wasn't clear there.  Any artist exposing the
darkness and trying to bring beauty and form to the chaos IS bringing healing
to the world.  I kinda skidded that by saying I could praise the God of my
*world view* for Trent's talent.  I could easily continue that thought and
say I could praise God for his healing art too if, as an artist, that's what
he was doing.
  I see goodness, healing, as finding it's ultimate reference point in God so
any person--Buddhist, atheist, wicca, Christian, etc., when striving to make
the world a better place is going about the business of redemption and doing
what is in their *true* nature to do if in fact all that is good within in us
humans is God's image within us breaking through.  Of course that's looking
at it from my POV.

 Also, since none of us here know Trent personally (though I think I know
 people who do), and even though I know I probably shouldn't say this
 here, saying that his talent coems from G-d "whether he acknowledges it
 or not" seems to be stepping over the bounds of someone else's personal
 theology.  Praising someone's work as coming from G-d/Christ/whomever
 seems, to me, to be viewing them through a worldview they themselves may
 not espouse.

But that'd be stepping over my *personal* theology.  My theology would
dictate that he is created in God's image and his talent is a mirror of that
image.  For me to deny that I would have to rearrange my worldview.  I'm not
saying he or anyone has to see it my way but surely I can see the world
through my eyes and not constantly reenvision it to cater to the worldview of
whomever I'm talking about.  I don't think that's possible even if one wanted
to.  The most we can do is *understand* another's worldview (and occasionally
correct ours when it shows faults) but then we still have to go to bed each
night and get up each morning looking from out our own eyes.

 And having said THAT, I think it'd be lovely if we could avoid having
 this, too, turn into another Christian theology discussion. It's been so
 nice and inclusive lately here. >>

Hey, I'm trying to be inclusive here!

kevin