Re: missing vowels

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Dan Temmesfeld wrote:
> yeah... and before anybody jumps on that bandwagon, you could also see
> it as the "YHWH" ommissions, too. perhaps the same concept for "G-d."

Hmmm, except that Hebrew words never had vowels to begin with, and it was
only later, when vowels were added to Hebrew words, that someone decided
not to add any vowels to "YHWH".  (Although, now that I flip through my
copy of the Tanakh, it seems "YHWH" *does* have vowels -- I don't know
Hebrew well enough to *read* it, but I think I can at least make out the
spellings, and IIRC, those marks under the letters are vowels.)  Whereas,
in English, "God" existed before the vowel was deleted by reverent Jews.

Not that any of this has to mean anything.  But if the two words lack
vowels, it is for different reasons, and I like to nitpick.  :)